Sunday, October 30, 2011

Update

Hey friends
Posting will be a bit sparse for another week or so. It's not that I don't have any stories to share; trust me the story supply is overflowing. A project is in the works however, and it's proving rather time consuming. I'm very excited about it though, and I can't wait to share. Let me give you a little preview.

I went down to Occupy Olympia for the first time two Tuesdays ago with Jeremiah. We took our video camera and spent a couple hours asking people why they were there and how long they planned on staying. There's been, in my opinion, an intense lack of media coverage of the occupation. So, we are working on a video to share the conversations we had.

Last Tuesday I went back to Occupy with my camera to check in on things. The movement had grown from 20 or so tents to around 100. I spent another few hours getting to know the folks involved, gathering information about the medical and food tents, and sitting in on a general assembly meeting. It was a thoroughly exciting and hope-building experience. I'll be creating a video to share once the first video is finished.

The idea occurred to me, after a dozen or so heart-to-hearts with Oly occupiers, that people have stories. These stories are the driving force behind the occupy movement. They give beautiful insight into the reasons for the movement, and the direction participants hope to see it take. So I posted an ad on craigslist looking for a canopy tent (http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/wan/2674549186.html) in order to erect what will be called the Story Tent. I hope to set up my camera and give people 10 minutes to share their story. The stories will be archived on this blog as they are gathered. We got a response to the ad just today, so things are looking good!

This is the first sign I've painted to
hang on the Story Tent. 

Stay tuned for the upcoming videos and updates on the Story Tent.

Blessings
Kaylani

No comments:

Post a Comment