Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Acts, Healing, and a Good Cup Of 'Spro

Last Tuesday we had God Talk at Moon Base for the last time. I would be sadder if we weren't coagulating at The Yellow House for God Talk tonight. We'll be discussing Acts 16, and whatever else inspires us and generates conversation.

About a month-and-a-half ago, I could have sworn we were on Acts 16. I read it. I took notes. I had questions. Couldn't wait to get started. Turned out, we were still in the Acts 10 area. Needless to say, I am pretty excited to get tonight's conversation underway.

Of all my questions on chapter 16, one has really stuck with me all these weeks. In the first few verses, Paul meets up with Timothy and wants to bring him along on his travels. Verse three says "Paul wanted this man to go with him; and he took him and circumcised him because of the Jews who were in those parts, for they all knew that his father was a Greek (NASB)." 


God Talk = growth check
Now, last week we discussed chapter 15. Circumcision was a big deal in that story too. The issue, though, was that some guys from Judea were trying to convince the church that circumcision was a requirement for salvation. Paul, Barnabas, and some pals went to the apostles and elders in Jerusalem specifically to address this. 


While Paul and crew are chatting with the church, some Pharisees cut in with their circumcision stipulation. Peter responds by reminding them that God gave the Holy Spirit upon Jews and Gentiles alike. "He made no distinction between us and them, cleansing their hearts by faith. Now therefore why do you put God to the test by placing upon the neck of the disciples a yoke which neither our fathers nor we have been able to bear? (9-10)" 


Yeah Peter! Stick it to 'em!


And then I read 16:3. Why's Paul suddenly enforcing this circumcision rule that he and his fellows so adamantly rejected just one chapter before? 


I have no doubt my understanding of this perceived conundrum will be expanded at tonight's God Talk. Quite possibly I'm miss-interpreting what I'm reading. Or some kind of cultural context I'm unaware of will shed some light. Regardless, I've no doubt my friends will be down to flesh out these verses with me, and that's why I appreciate them. We can argue for hours and walk away with a sense of growth instead of offense. 


Back to last week... We ended with prayer requests as usual. I always see results in some way when I request prayer from our crew. This week has generated more thoughts and questions for tonight, though. My request was that I (via God) would heal someone this week.

My week is up and I've not laid hands on anyone. The one person I asked told me no, in fact.

While at work, I tend to pray over folks' drinks as I create them whenever I remember to do so. When someone happens to mention an ailment or struggle, I'm both reminded to pray and given a specific topic to lift to Papa.

This week, it seemed the topic of health problems worked its way into every other conversation I had. Often, this is the case when I work at our Group Health stand. Since I'm at a hospital and an obvious majority of folks I talk with are unwell, I try my best to avoid the conversation altogether (though it inevitably comes up and I pray over coffees after offering awkward condolences and encouragement). The health conversation comes up much more rarely when I work at our main shop. Until the past week, that is.

Though I didn't specifically heal anyone, God has given me more questions to discuss with my friends. Does praying over drinks benefit the drinker? Is the practice a substitute to laying hands? Is my discomfort at offering prayer while working justified?

Moral of the story, I'm looking forward to new God Talk at a new house. And it's about time I get myself to that house so I can eat some of Josiah's chili.

Blessings and growth,
Kaylani



No comments:

Post a Comment